At the top of the “Strategy Management” page, there are buttons for managing your strategies: create a new strategy, create a new group (folder), duplicate a strategy, create a backup file for the strategy, import a strategy, and delete or reset a strategy.
1. To create a new strategy, click the “New” button (at the top-left corner of this page). From the dropdown menu that appears, choose “Strategy”. You can also press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + N.
The “Add Strategy” dialog appears, where you can give a name for that strategy, choose what strategy type it will be, and place it on a certain group. Then press OK. You are immediately taken to the Backtest Strategy Page where you can customize the strategy's rules and portfolios.
If you also want to create a new group (where the new strategy will be placed into), simply type the group's name without selecting any of the existing groups.
Note, if you don't give a name to the strategy, it'll be simply named “New Strategy”, or “New Strategy – Copy (2)”, and so on.
2. To create a new a group (without creating a new strategy as well), click the “New” button and choose “Group” from the dropdown. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + G.
The “Add Group” dialog shows up, where you can give it a name. Simply press OK and the new group is created.
To rename a group, click exactly on the group's name, and type the new name; then press Enter. Note you can't rename the “Licensed Strategies” group.
You can drag and drop any strategy from one group to another. Doing so will move that strategy toward that group. Keep in mind you can't move a strategy to (and from) the “Licensed Strategies” group.
To delete a group, first make sure it doesn't contain any strategies (by moving or deleting its strategies). Once it's empty, you'll see a “Delete” button below the group's name. Click that button and the group is gone.
3. The Backtest button takes you to the Backtest Strategy page. Make sure you have selected a strategy here, so you can customize its parameters on that page. Note, double-clicking a strategy here will also take you there.
4. To duplicate a strategy, select it and press the “Copy” button.
The duplicate has the suffix ” – Copy” added to the original name, and it's placed on whatever group you copied that strategy from. But if you copied a strategy from the “Licensed Strategies” group, the duplicate is placed at “My Strategies” group.
Note, some licenses don't have the ability to duplicate licensed strategies (the “Copy” button is grayed out). If you wish to upgrade your license, please contact our Customer Support team.
5. The Backup button creates a backup file for the selected strategy. You can put this file anywhere, or send it to your fellow Portfolio Boss users.
To backup a strategy: select the strategy, click the “Backup” button, and a save-dialog appears where you can specify the name and address of the backup file. It's saved as an EBTS file (where the “S” stands for Strategy).
Note, you can only back up strategies from your custom groups (not the “Licensed Strategies” group).
6. To import a strategy, click the “Restore” button. The file-open dialog appears, where you can select the EBTS file.
The imported strategy will be listed under “My Strategies” group.
7. To delete a strategy, you must select it and press the “Delete” button at the top of this page. You can't simply press the keyboard's Delete button.
A confirmation dialog appears; simply press Yes.
If that strategy is used by a Multi (or Meta) strategy, a warning dialog shows up asking for your confirmation.
Keep in mind you can't delete any of the “Licensed Strategies” (no “Delete” button is present if you select a licensed strategy).
That button is replaced with the “Reset” button for reverting any of the licensed strategies into their default state (if you manipulated its parameters on the “Backtest Strategy” page).
To unselect a strategy, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking that strategy.